In order for students to fully comprehend a text, they must be exposed to words are unfamiliar to them in the text. It is vital for students to gain a better understanding of the vocabulary they will encounter to help them have more knowledge of the reading.
Students will understand new vocabulary to help them apply to their reading of a Revolutionary War novel.
Students will use context clues to help them write effective sentences containing each vocabulary word.
Students will draw visualizations of the vocabulary words to help them truly see the words.
How does understanding the vocabulary or words an author uses help you to better comprehend the text?
1. Week 3 Powerpoint presentation
2. Vocabulary Graphic Organizer
3. Enrichment vocabulary words (if applicable)
1. Ask students as a review: How does understanding the words an author uses in a text help you to better comprehend a text?
- Have students individually think about their responses.
- After students have been given time to think about their responses, have them share their thoughts with a partner.
2. With partners, small groups, or individually have students give
an oral summary of their Revolutionary War novel using at least 10 of the vocabulary
words from the past two weeks. Then have several students share their responses
with the class. If you would like, have them actually write the story
on paper and underline the vocabulary words they are using. Words to
Place students in the enrichment vocabulary group together to review their words. Enrichment words to use:
3. Have students take our their vocabulary graphic organizers to
document the third set of words from their Revolutionary War novel.
4. Begin the Powerpoint presentation for week 3. Show the
students the first slide of each word and have them observe the
illustration closely. Have students determine what the meaning of the
might be by the illustration to guide them.
5. Have students write the word on the graphic organizer.
6. Turn to the next slide of the Powerpoint and have students write the definition of the word.
7. With a partner, have students write a sentence using the word with effective context clues, as well as an illustration.
8. Students can share their illustrations and sentences with other partnerships to review their work.
9. Continue to do this procedure until you have discussed all of the vocabulary words for week 3.
Benchmark or Standards:
The Standards for the English Language Arts:
Students apply a wide range of strategies to comprehend, interpret,
evaluate, and appreciate texts (their knowledge of word meaning and of
other texts, their word identification strategies).