Short Story Writing Journal Activities
Now that you’ve invented a character for your short story, complete the following journal activities. Pretend that you are your character, and write the journal from his/her perspective.
1. What is your favorite childhood memory? Describe the event.
2. What is a secret that you have been keeping? Confess your secret and explain why you have had to keep this hidden.
3. What is one regret that you have in life? Why do you regret this? What have you learned from the experience?
4. If you could travel to any time and place, what would it be? What would you do there? Why?
5. Who is your best friend? Describe how you met? What makes this person so important to you?
6. If you had one day left on Earth, what would you do?
7. What is your secret ambition? If you could be anyone or do anything for a living, what would it be?
8. What’s a habit you have? What triggers your habit? Have you ever tried to break yourself of it?
9. Write a personal ad for yourself. Make it highlight your positive features, tell a little about your personality, and describe what you’re looking for in a relationship.
10. When in your life have you pretended to be someone you’re not? Why did you do it? How did it feel? Why did you stop pretending (if you did)?
11. Begin your journal with “I used to think…” Explain.
12. What is the biggest lie you have ever told? Explain the situation.
13. Describe the items in your purse or wallet. What significance do the items have?
14. Describe your bedroom. What significance do the items have?
15. What are your pet peeves? Explain.