Questions over Act III, Scenes 2 - 5
Answer the following questions in complete sentences.
- What does Juliet mean when she says, "I have bought the house of love, But have not lived in it?"
2. When the Nurse first enters, who does Juliet believe is dead?
3. When Juliet realizes that Romeo has killed Tybalt, she compares Romeo to four things. List them here.
4. What promise does the Nurse make to Juliet at the end of Scene 2?
5. In Scene 3, when Romeo finds out he has been banished, he says, "Be merciful and say 'death.' Exile has more terror than death." What does this mean?
6. Who comes and knocks on the door when Romeo is speaking with the Friar?
7. What plan does the Friar have for Romeo?
8. What does the Nurse give to Romeo as a gift from Juliet?
9. At the beginning of Scene 4, Capulet makes arrangements for something to happen that Thursday. What is it?
10. Where do we find Romeo and Juliet at the beginning of Scene 5? What time is it? What has probably happened the night before?
- What are Romeo and Juliet arguing about at the beginning of Scene 5?
12. What does Romeo mean when he says, "I have more care to stay than will to go. Come death! Juliet wills it so."
13. What frightening vision does Juliet have before Romeo leaves? What do you think this foreshadows?
14. When Lady Capulet enters, why does she think Juliet is crying? Why is Juliet really crying?
15. What does Juliet say when she finds out what is planned for her on Thursday?
16. How does Capulet react when Juliet says she won't marry Paris?
17. What does Capulet call his daughter? (several answers)
18. What does Capulet threaten to do if Juliet does not marry Paris?
19. How does Lady Capulet react to Juliet when Juliet tries to get her to delay the wedding? Why do you think she reacts this way?
20. What is the Nurse's advice to Juliet about what she should do?
21. At the end of Scene 5, Juliet tells the Nurse she is going to Friar Lawrence's cell to make confession. Why is she really going?