Prior knowledge of biology and genetics is necessary.
Students should be able to distinguish between genotypes and phenotypes and figure out the probability of each.
What are genotypes and phenotypes and how do they affect traits?
Computer for each student (with Internet access)
Projector and screen
- Read Chapter 5 (Heredity) in textbook
- Watch YouTube video for reinforcement. (Gregor Mendel's Punnett Squares)
- Class discussion/question answering session.
- Construct phenotype (picture) in Paint (on computer) based on genotypes given by teacher.
- Play game online in groups of 3.http://library.thinkquest.org/C0110254/game.html
- Online assessment.
Online assessment provided by McGraw Hill
Answer Key or Rubric:
Quiz grades itself.
Benchmark or Standards:
SC.7.L.16.2: Determine the probabilities for genotype and phenotype combinations using Punnett Squares and pedigrees.