Introduction: Prior to beginning the lesson: (1) Photocopy Animal Research Report (1 per student); (2) Schedule a visit to the school computer lab.
Group Size: Whole Class
Students will be able to:
· Use the internet to research one ocean animal.
· Write a research report on one ocean animal.
· Identify and explain important facts about one ocean animal.
Materials: Animal Research Report (see attachment), computer lab, pencils.
1. Tell students: Today, you are all going to write research reports. You are going to use the internet to help you. I want each of you to choose one animal from the ocean for your report. Give students time to think. Go around the room and ask each student to share his/her animal.
2. Take class to the computer lab.
3. Distribute page one of Animal Research Report to each student. Remind students to write in complete sentences when answering questions.
5. Circulate the classroom and help students when necessary.
6. Collect students’ papers for use the next day.
Modifications: For students with special needs, provided one-on-one assistance as necessary.
Assessment: Direct students to turn to a classmate and share one thing they learned today.
Benchmark or Standards:
National Science Education Standards
NS.K-4.3 Life Science– As a result of the activities in Grades K-4, all students should develop an understanding of:
· The characteristics of organisms.
· Organisms and environments.
NS.K-4.4 Earth Science– As a result of the activities in Grades K-4, all students should develop an understanding of:
· Properties of Earth materials.