Students are given the following question to access background knowledge on traditions that are celebrated among our classroom community. These traditions will help students understand the diversity of their class and look through the eyes of another in their peer group.
- Have students sit theater style on rug. Ask students to pair share answering the question "What holidays do you celebrate and how do you celebrate them?"
2. Have students return their attention to the front of the class, then using a KWL chart, popcorn raising hands to respond to what they told their partner.
3. Teacher will ask the class to take a think moment to come up with questions of what they want to know about the holidays.
Students will create a collage that represents the holiday season in their family. Students use the collage to write one paragraph describing the traditions they celebrate in their family.
"What holidays do you celebrate and how do you celebrate them?"
"The Shortest Day: Celebrating the Winter Solstice" by Wendy Pfeffer
Assortment of magazines
- Ask students to sit theater style on the rug
2. Ask students to pair share answering the question “What holidays do you celebrate and how do you celebrate them?” (3 min.)
3. Students return their attention to the front of the class using KWL chart, popcorn raising hands to respond with what they told their partner.
4. Teacher will ask the class to take a think moment to come up with questions of what they want to know about the holidays.
5. Teacher will read the story, “O Christmas Tree It’s History and Holiday Traditions” by Jacqueline Farmer.
6. Students will create collage showing symbols of holidays individually
7. Day 2, students will complete a one paragraph writing assignment explaining and describing their collage.
8. Students will take a classroom tour to view other collages
9. Teacher will present own completed collage
10. Teacher will read and model the complete paragraph written describing the collage.
Answer Key or Rubric:
Ideas and Content
__Creates a detailed drawing plan
__Sticks to one idea or topic
__Words show some details
__Two or more sentences are in a logical order (0-2)
__Writes words from left to right, then
makes a return sweep
__Tries interesting words
__Sentences are complete
__Uses correct grammar
__Uses capitals to start
Conventions sentences, names, and “I”
__Uses spaces between words
__Phonetic spelling is readable
__Spells first quarter high frequency
words correctly (site-based)
__Uses end punctuation (. ! ?)
__Forms letters correctly
Points 16 15 14 13 12 11 10 9 8 7 6 5 4 3 2 1
Proficiency Scale Adv. P+ P PP M U
Benchmark or Standards:
Organization and Focus
Select a focus when writing.
1.2 Use descriptive words when writing.
1.3 Print legibly and space letters, words, and sentences appropriately.