This resource was reviewed using the Curriki Review rubric and received an overall Curriki Review System rating of 2.00, as of 2008-08-15.
Technical Completeness: 3
Content Accuracy: 2
Appropriate Pedagogy: 2
These provocative questions guide a student through Charge of the Light Brigade. Beginning with a simple question about the rhyme scheme of the poem, the student is asked to go from the literal to the complex – to make personal questions, analyze quotes and how to think about this text. While there is no answer key provided, a rich discussion of student responses to these questions could deepen understanding and provide reflection for this poem.
Information - Charge of the Light Brigade Questions
E-book, Graphic Organizer/Worksheet
8 questions on Tennyson's Charge of the Light Brigade, at varying levels.
This resource is part of the Poetry collection.
Language Arts > General Language Arts > Literature
2. Write the rhyme scheme next to each line of the poem.
3. What is "The Charge of the Light Brigade" about?
4. Why do the soldiers ride to their death?
5. What kind of weapons did the Light Brigade have? What weapons did their opponents have? Who won?
6. What does "Then they rode back, but not / Not the six hundred" imply about the soldiers?
7. What image is created for us by the lines, "Cannon to right of them / Cannon to left of them / Cannon in front of them"? What image is created by the lines, "Half a league, half a league, / Half a league onward"?
8. If you were in the army and your commander told you to fight in a battle where you would most likely die, what would you do? Why?